use your senses to change your mood
Sensory Modulation has been found to be particularly effective for:
- Self Harm
- Agitation and Anger
- High Levels of Anxiety
Sensory Modulation has been recommendedin the National Recovery Framework as clients are encouraged to self manage their symptoms.
mood and occupation
What mood do you need to be in to do what you want to do? Examples may be:
- Manage my anger so I don't lose my job.
- Calm down so that I can focus on study.
An Occupational Therapist will discuss your mood, your goals and your sensory preferences.
Then will assist you to develop personalised coping strategies from the 7 senses.
- Proprioception - The sense of where your body is in space.
- Vestibular - your sense of balance and movement
- Taste and mouth sensations eg chewing, sucking, crunching.
- Touch - light and deep pressure touch and vibration.
- Interoception - the sense of the internal workings of your body eg hunger, bladder, breathing.